Ok, things have gotten pretty busy around Angryrobotsville, with everything except writing for the site.
I have my full time job, I have a freelance job, we are renovating our kitchen, and we have a brand new human being added to the family in December, so there are lots of nesting-related tasks related to that. You know, find shiny baubles, line nest with them, etc. So posting around here is by necessity going to shrivel down to the barest link-blogging. You know, just the most important stuff: Trump invades Canada, Trump resigns in disgrace, woman on Tinder date traps self in window trying to dislodge own turd, and suchlike.
ONE GLARING EXCEPTION! Before the reno was planned… before the baby… before the freelance job… I booked off a week for TIFF. It feels decadent and irresponsible, but I have shit tons of films to see starting saturday. My intention is to post reviews here; I may not get everything but you’ll probably see some stuff.
Hello – I’m cottaging! Just in case anyone was wondering where the Thrones write-up was. Hopefully I’ll have it up sometime tomorrow.
Just to warn you that I’m gonna be experimenting with this micro.blog thing. The logic is articulated here. Basically, on the major social media platforms you don’t own your content, increasingly the platforms themselves act as gatekeepers, and they are selling your information to advertisers. It’s more in keeping with the traditions of the web to treat small social media posts like tweets as micro blog posts (hence the name of this effort), and ideally such content should live on one’s own blog.
That’s where it gets complicated.
So I’d rather keep these micro blog posts on this blog rather than starting a new one. I can have a different “post format” called “aside” that will look more like my current quick links than my normal posts. So far, so good. But it would make sense to cross-post these posts to twitter, right? And not duplicate efforts across two networks? Sure. But I have two twitter accounts, my personal one and the one for this blog, which parrots anything posted here. If I auto post from micro.blog to my personal twitter, which makes most sense to me, the net result will be people who follow both accounts will see things twice. I will try to figure some way around this, but bear with me.
TL,DR: I may break things here soon, sorry!
Most of the legwork moving the site to WordPress is now over, along with some spit-n-polish and nice-to-haves I’ve been meaning to implement for some time now. Such as… give me an unordered list-themed drum roll…
- An archive page! See if you can find it hiding in plain sight! It has everything going back an awful long time, plus some tags that only really apply to the most recent posts.
- RSS feed is working properly now, mostly! Link posts are working right but it seems like image posts just look like link posts?
- Breadcrumb navigation! Of limited value, but still!
- The search is working and the design is acceptable for now.
Lately I’ve been working on a big elaborate Workflow for posting here, something I’ve been really dying to do, and it’s pretty cool, but that’s probably a separate post.
Pretty soon I’m going to launch a new project for the site, and it’s not about Trump! Or Apple! Or video games! Is it blowing your mind yet? I just have to figure out some design stuff and then we should be good to go.
Ok! In terms of this redesign: now we are cooking with fire! White-hot blogfire, I would say. The feed should be working right; so too the search and the contact form.
Also, I’ve reanimated the long-dormant Angry Robot Twitter Parrot Bot and it should be squawking out whatever gets posted to the site. In addition, there is now an Angry Robot Facebook Page that should also link to everything here. So if you prefer reading web sites without actually going to the web, you have options now!
That should be the last of the meta posts for now – now back to our regularly scheduled Angry Roboting.
Well, that took a while. This site is now on wordpress. Most things should be good. (all the old posts are moved over! even all the old comments, but they’re not being displayed! but they exist!) Some things are still broken. That I know of:
- RSS feed should be working, and the URL is the same, but the link posts will be linking to their own permalink rather than the external site, which is shitty but I will be trying to fix it this week.
- some permalinks are busted: URLs that ended in a non-alphanumeric character. It’s not that many, so oh well. All the posts are still all there, so they will be searchable… once I get the search up and running.
You will also be seeing the new design. Not that different. But here are the highlights:
- New logo! I liked the old one, except how it looked when shrunk down, when it became a smudge. I didn’t intend on changing it, but I noticed how an A and an R could be adapted to become eyes…
- New font: Neutral. I LOVE it. I loved the old font, Futura, but came to dislike it for body text. I find Neutral much more readable, hopefully you do too.
- Various tweaks to what you might call post type styles. Link posts now indicate their outward-pointing nature with an arrow, and the bullet doubles as the permalink.
Any issues or comments, try me on twitter @dsankey, or you could try the new contact form on the contact page? Maybe it even works!
Alright so I have been not posting a lot because I’ve been labouring away behind the curtain here hupdating this ol’ blog to work with this thing they call the wordpress. Also, I’ve been redoing the design. Actually you’ll probably LOL at how much it looks like the current design! Hey man when you achieve perfection there is no reason to set it alight in the name of novelty amirite? You know I am.
So anyway. This is just to say that should the site be unreachable, or visibly upset, or basically in ruins the next time you visit, it’s (hopefully) because I am in the process of making the move-over final and things will be back to normal right quick. Theoretically. Cross your emoji fingers for me.