SOURCE: Globe Editorial Board endorsed Wynne Liberals, was overruled
Don’t piano teachers deserve the same ‘protection’ as prostitutes?
Tabatha Southey on the latest crackpot nonsense from The Harper Government
Why Liberals and Tories both believe they will win a minority
What a miserable election. I would never vote for Hudak’s PCs and I feel like I want to punish both the Liberals and the NDP. One day before the election and I still have no idea who I’m going to vote for.
Where do we put all the babies?
On the baby boom in downtown Toronto.
How many ridings are really in play in this Ontarian election?
Not many. This time around the whole system feels broken.
Ford brothers sought city work for printer with family firm dealings
Robyn Doolittle at the Globe, with Greg McArthur and John Lorinc. They have interviews with a whistleblower at Deco, who was motivated by Rob Ford’s recently reported anti-Semitic comments. The Ford bros told us this would never happen.
McSweeney’s: Client Feedback On the Creation of the Earth.
Explaining the Bi-directional Cycle Track Folly
Bidirectional cycle tracks are more dangerous and haven’t been used in Copenhagen in decades.
Murder Machines: Why Cars Will Kill 30,000 Americans This Year
I feel like I’ve already linked to this? I think it was a radio doc going over similar issues. It’s worth a read for some good points – ignore the inflammatory headline.
Here’s Apple’s iOS 8 Overview site. And here’s the site for OS X Yosemite. I’m more psyched about both new OSes than I have been for any in a while. My favourite upcoming features, which all solve problems that I’ve faced quite recently:
- iCloud Drive, in which iCloud acts like Dropbox, and the related
- iCloud Photo Library, in which Photo Stream is replaced by something that works the way you’d want
- Spotlight on both OSes is much more like Quicksilver or LaunchBar and looks to be much more useful (and bypasses Google quite a bit)
- Continuity, in which things you’re doing on one device can be easily picked up on another (still not clear how the UI will work)
- They opened a lot more of iOS up to developers, including share sheets, notification center and documents, meaning complex workflows will get a lot easier.
- Family Sharing, in which sharing media among a family’s different Apple IDs isn’t a bewildering hellstorm
In other news, The OS X design flattening is quite tasteful (font: Helvetica Neue). Finally, I’m not a developer but I’m excited for Siracusa that a new programming language has appeared as he hoped it would.
Mirvish-Gehry vision for King Street is scaled down, but there’s nothing timid about it
More positive follow-up to my previous post on the subject. I still don’t get how no one’s talking about transit problems in the area, but I guess it’s a larger issue and maybe that’s started.